How to make the best of your Video Interview?
Homeworking, lockdown, sick leaves… Coronavirus gives us the opportunity to rethink our recruitment process.
This is why at Generations Recruitment we’ve decide to conduct exclusive Video Interviews.
You probably know how to prepare yourself to a face-to-face interview, but do the same rules apply for a video interview?
Here we tell you everything on how to successfully manage your virtual interview and get the best first impression on your conversation partner.
Tips for a successful Video Interview:
- Manage your environment
- Make sure your environment and background are professionalized.
- Avoid sources of distraction and personal items or details in the background.
- Ensure that your room is well-lit.
- Check your equipment
- Clean your camera lens.
- Test your microphone.
- Double-check your internet connection.
- In case you’re using a mobile device without a power source, make sure the battery is charged.
- Your dress code and looks
- Dress as you would for a face-to-face interview (at least from the chest up – you should be fine in your pyjama trousers as long as you don’t stand up ?).
- Alternate your looks between the screen and camera and show non-verbal interest, to establish a maximum level of connection with your interviewee.
- Your speaking time
- A big advantage of video conferencing is that you can keep track of time more easily by reading it on your screen. Use it as an opportunity to avoid overrunning your interview.
- Try not to interrupt your conversation partner and speak as clearly and slowly as The internet can induce slight delays in video interviews.
- Applications to use
There is a handful of applications you can use to operate your interviews such as Teams (Microsoft), Skype, Zoom, FaceTime, WhatsApp, Whereby…
Now you are ready for your interview!
Prepare the same way you would for any other interview but remember to test if everything works before the interview.
Don’t hesitate to contact Generations Recruitment’s team to get even more advice!
Authors: Maxime Giroux, Recruitment Consultant & Polina Tarassov, Content Manager